nls-technical

[nls-technical] File encoding

To: Howard Palmer <hepster@pacbell.net>
Cc: nls-technical@chm.cim3.net
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:48:59 -0800
Hi Howard,    (01)

Not a big deal, but I guess we should come to an agreement on the usual
two problems that crop up in Java source files that are checked in by
people on different platforms:
  * EOL (CRLF vs. LF)
  * Character encoding (ISO-8859-1 vs. UTF-8)    (02)

I'm sure you can guess my own preference (LF, UTF-8), but I thought I'd
ask you what you think.    (03)

The copyright symbols that you have put back in the java headers are
using the ISO-8859-1 single byte character (0xA9) instead of the UTF-8
double-byte character (0xC2 0xA9). This is causing javac compilation on
my linux platform (default encoding is UTF-8) to give warning messages
about that character.    (04)

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/00a9/index.htm    (05)

Doesn't Windows XP default to UTF-8 encoding nowadays, or is Eclipse on
Windows the reason?    (06)

Jonathan    (07)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (09)