nls-restore

Re: [nls-restore] CHM SCC web pages on NLS project

To: nls-restore <nls-restore@chm.cim3.net>
Cc: Paula Jabloner <jabloner@computerhistory.org>
From: Jake Feinler <feinler@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:42:37 -0700
I have been somewhat incognito due to the illness and death of a close
friend, and various trips.  However, I have been reading the email.  I
just looked at the web page and it looks great!    (01)

A couple of things:    (02)

I have a 7-track tape that is quite old, but the can has never been
opened.  This tape has the entire index to the old journal system and
to the collection that was known as XDoc.  We have pieced together most
of the old Xdoc collection in hardcopy.  For those who don't know what
Xdoc was, it was all the items collected by ARC and the NIC that were
not generated online.  The NIC collection was made up of the ARC
Journal (online) and Xdoc (offline hardcopy).  It is an eclectic
collection of all sorts of articles, reports, correspondence, and the
like and gives an impressive view of what was happening in computer
research and networking at the time (covers time frame from approx.
1965-1980).    (03)

Does anyone have access to a 7-track tape reader?  Assuming that we can
find a reader and that  the tape is readable, can this material be fit
into the version of NLS on which the group is working?    (04)

Also, if Kathe would like to get together with me at some time after
her vacation, there may be items in the museum's SRI-NIC collection
that are not contained in her bibliography.  For instance, there are
many NLS manuals in the SRI-NIC collection which could be cited and/or
scanned.    (05)

Regards,    (06)

Jake    (07)

On Jun 15, 2005, at 4:30 PM, Philip Gust wrote:    (08)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/wiki/    (010)