nls-restore

Fwd: RE: CHS-SCC NLS/Augment meeting report 2005.2.16.ppt

To: "Jonathan Cheyer" <jonathan@cheyer.biz>, "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@cim3.com>, Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:10:33 -0800
I though you'd be interested in a part of an email I just received  from Lee
Courtney, who is the secretary of the Computer History Museum's Software
Collection Committee.  The Paul he mentioned is the fellow heading up the
Fortran preservation project.  I received a number of congratulations to the
team from other members of the SCC as well.  NLS is very well known and
highly regarded; this project and our approach seems to have captured
people's imaginations.    (01)

>A data point related to your NLS work. We have at the Museum a XKL Toad-1
>system that is not powered up, but fully operational. This machine runs
>TOPS-20, but I'm not sure what release. If we ever wanted to run NLS on real
>TOPS-20 (admitedly no DEC hardware) that would be feasible. Actually during
>your presentation I was thinking getting NLS up and running on the TOAD
>could be considered our first software "restoration" project.
>
>We also have a complete set of TOPS-10 and TOPS-20 source. Several hundred
>1/2" magnetic tapes. All this material was donated middle of last year from
>a former DEC/COMPAQ/HP engineer who worked in that area.
>
>Let me know if you'd like to discuss this in more detail. Right now you'll
>probably make more progress using the emulator approach.
>
>Great progress on NLS and a great job. You and Paul are really fulfilling
>the vision I think a lot of us have on how the software collection process
>would unfold.    (02)

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.    (03)

phone: +1 650 961-7992