nls-legal

[nls-legal] Fwd: Re: Need help contacting Larry Lessig

To: nls-legal@chm.cim3.net
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:16:36 -0800

>Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:56:56 -0800
>To: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
>From: Henry Lowood <lowood@stanford.edu>
>Subject: Re: Need help contacting Larry Lessig
>
>Hi Philip,
>
>I don't know Larry Lessig very well -- only shook hands with him
>once.  So I don't think I'm the right guy for the
>introduction.   The truth is, I don't know anybody who knows him --
>he's in the Law School, of course, plus he has become kind of a
>star.   But I have an idea.  Some of you probably know Brewster
>Kahle.  I know Doug knows him.  I bet he knows Lessig pretty well.
>
>I'd be happy to at least be able to browse the posts to the NLS
>group at CHM.  In fact, it would be great to have a complete archive
>to add to Doug's papers here.
>
>Best,
>
>Henry
>
>At 07:14 AM 2/27/2006, you wrote:
>>Henry,
>>
>>We're surfacing some interesting legal questions around the
>>NLS/Augment restoration project. Some of them are related to
>>orphaned copyrights and other IP as we try to trace ownership and
>>get permission to make NLS/Augment and related documentation
>>public.  Sally Abel, an IP attorney at Fenwick and a CHM trustee,
>>has been helping us as much as she has time for, but she's really
>>busy and is mainly focused on other aspects of CHM business.
>>
>>Our group keeps saying that it needs a legal advisor to provide
>>guidance, someone kind of like Larry Lessig.  So I suggested that
>>maybe we should see if he'd be willing to apply since he's very
>>much like Larry Lessig.  I don't have a personal connection, and
>>could just cold call, but thought that an introduction through
>>someone in the Stanford community might be helpful.  Do you know
>>Larry or would you be comfortable making an initial contact on our
>>behalf and briefing him about the project?   Here's his Stanford
>>web page: http://www.law.stanford.edu/faculty/lessig/. Please don't
>>feel pressured if you're not comfortable doing this or don't have
>>the time.  I appreciate your just being available to ask!
>>
>>BTW, are you on any of the CHM nls groups?  We have nls-restore (a
>>general information list), nls-technical, and nls-legal.  We also
>>maintain a complete archive of past email on the lists that you can
>>review.  Let me know if you are and I'll add you to the appropriate lists.
>>
>>There's some good on both the technical and legal side.  On the
>>technical side, we have a cloned Augment system running under
>>Linux/TOPS-20 and a new Java AugTerm that can be used through a web
>>browser.  We're working on new keysets, and on decoding and
>>exporting the Augment structures  Jeff Rulifson and Rayleen Pac
>>have been great resources for this.  On the legal side, we've
>>pretty well traced ownership through McDonnell Douglas/Boeing to BT
>>to Sprint. Boeing  legal is balking at providing a release now that
>>Lew Platt isn't with us any more, and I'm re-contacting their CIO
> [...]

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.
3120 De La Cruz Blvd., Suite 120
Santa Clara, CA 95054    (02)

phone: +1 650 961-7992
fax:   +1 520 843-7217    (03)

mailto: gust@NouveauSystems.com    (04)

Nouveau Systems collaboration-enabled infrastructure and applications
enable integrated information management, process automation and
knowledge capture.  To learn how Nouveau Systems products can help
your knowledge-based organization drive innovation, visit:
http://www.NouveauSystems.com    (05)

Message Archives: http://chm.cim3.net/forum/nls-legal/
To Post: mailto:nls-legal@chm.cim3.net
Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (06)