nls-legal

[nls-legal] (no subject)

To: "Griffin, Scott D" <scott.d.griffin@boeing.com>
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 05:53:52 -0800
Hi, Scott,    (01)

This is a follow-up on or earlier discussion of the NLS/Augment issue.    (02)

We've definitely traced the ownership of NLS/Augment from SRI through
Tymshare/Tymnet to McDonnell Douglas. We have indications that
ownership transferred to British Telecommunications: two trademarks
for Augment (73256814, and 73647182) transferred to BT on 11/20/1989,
prior to Boeing's acquisition of McDonnell Douglas.  We also have
indications that BT transferred ownersihp to MCI: one of the
trademarks (73256814) transferred from BT to MCI on 7/25/1995.    (03)

We've taken stock of Boeing's earlier feedback, and are now trying to
get a simple, non-binding statement from each of the companies for
the CHM NLS/Augment restoration project records.  BT has agreed to
supply such a statement (see attached). With the help of Vint Cerf,
MCI's former CEO, we're working with Janis Manning, MCI/Verizon's
Assistant General Counsel, Trademarks & Copyrights on a similar statement.    (04)

We were hoping to get a similar non-binding statement from
Boeing.  Kathy Gallagher had originally agreed to give us such a
statement. However, her supervisor wasn't comfortable with issuing it
from their office, since it isn't strictly speaking a legal issue,
and recommended going back to you.    (05)

The statement we'd like to have is exactly along same lines as the one from BT:    (06)

"Boeing believes that ownership of of NLS/Augment passed with other
assets formerly from McDonnell Douglas to British Telecommunications
PLC in late 1989, prior to Boeing's acquisition of McDonnell Douglas.
As far as Boeing is concerned, we have no issue with the Computer
History Museum using such NLS/Augment copyrights in a not-for-profit
capacity for the benefit of the general public.  Boeing makes no
representation or warranty as to such use."    (07)

Would you be able to write a letter that includes such a non-binding
statement on behalf of Boeing, or refer us to someone within your
circle at Boeing who could?  I know that you are in touch with Jim
McNerney, and it might even be helpful for you to approach him
informally to see if he'd support doing that. If you do, feel free to
share the attached letter from John Toole to BT with him as
background. I know that Lew was eager to help us with this, and hope
that you and perhaps Jim might be willing to carry the banner on this request.    (08)

I really appreciate your help on this, however things turn out.  If
you do visit the SF Bay area, please let me know.  I enjoyed talking
with you earlier, and It would be great to get together in person.    (09)

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.    (010)

phone: +1 650 961-7992
fax:   +1 520 843-7217    (011)